This password file can be manipulated using htpasswd.
This authenticator accepts:
* Blowfish - for passwords 72 characters or less in length.
* SHA256 - with salting and magic strings.
* SHA512 - with salting and magic strings.
* MD5 - with optional salt and magic strings.
* DES - for passwords 8 characters or less in length. NOTE: Blowfish and SHA algorithms require system-specific support.
DES functionality (used by htpasswd by default) silently truncates passwords to 8 characters. Allowing login with password values shorter than the one desired. This authenticator will reject login with long passwords when using DES.
Based on original documentation by Rodrigo Rubira Branco <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Copyright (C) 1996-2020 The Squid Software Foundation and contributors
* Squid software is distributed under GPLv2+ license and includes
* contributions from numerous individuals and organizations.
* Please see the COPYING and CONTRIBUTORS files for details.
This file is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
Report bugs or bug fixes using http://bugs.squid-cache.org/
Report serious security bugs to Squid Bugs <email@example.com>
Report ideas for new improvements to the Squid Developers mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>